Monday, September 24, 2012

The Derryization of Lesley

It has been just over a year and a half since I packed up my life and flew across the pond and set up shop in Derry, Ireland.  A lot has happened in that year and a half, including the newest addition...our part Irish, part American daughter.  And, she's actually one of the few Americans that can ACTUALLY say, "My daddy was Irish."  Because, let's face it...anytime Barry tells someone from America he's from Ireland...100% of the time that person has some relation that "was Irish."

Isla flying her flags.  Hey...that's as good as they are gonna look with my computer free-hand paintbrush skilz!

So, anyway.  I realized yesterday that one of the most prominent differences between myself now and and myself a year and a half ago other than my daughter, is that I have acclimatized, so to speak to life here.  And here's how:


  • I no longer think about Taco Bell and the lack thereof of Taco Bell here all the time.  Don't get me wrong, I'd still and I will still eat the hell out of it when I get to America, but I don't cry about it as much.  I never literally cried about it, but I did whine a lot!
  • I'm slowly starting to take tea more than coffee.  Although, I still love coffee, particularly coffee of the Starbucks persuasion, but I do enjoy hot tea now, too.  I still miss my Iced Tea, though and homemade Iced Tea never tastes as good as the delicious cool, beverage that is delivered to your table at a restaurant.
  • I want and actually crave coleslaw on sandwiches!  When I first moved here, I thought it was incredibly odd to put coleslaw on sandwiches, but now...I like it!  The only think we put 'slaw ('cause we say it 'slaw in West Virginia) on in West Virginia is a hot dog or pulled pork sandwich or something.  Now, I still absolutely WILL NOT put butter on my sandwich...unless it's a grilled sandwich or something.  That to me is still odd, but hey you never know.
A West Virginia hot dog with chili and slaw.

  • When I first moved here, I noticed a very distinct difference in the chocolate here.  The chocolate is milkier here than America.  But now, I eat it and I couldn't tell you what is different about it.  It tastes normal to me.  Too normal, in fact, says the Crunchie bar stash upstairs in the bedroom so Barry won't see me eating them.

  • I now say "Aye" all the time.  I used to make a very strong effort to never say it in public because coming from an American mouth...well, it sounds out of place.  But now, I don't care.  I say it to whoever and to be honest, no one has ever remarked about it.  I even say some "Derry" things without thinking now.  For example, I say "ano" all the time.  Quick translation...this means "I know."
  • I forget that I have an accent here.  I honestly don't here a Derry accent anymore I hear it so much.  In fact, I forget that I DON'T sound like people here until someone asks me where I'm from and then I remember that I am a foreigner here.  But, honestly, I don't get that "where are you from" question that much anymore.  
  • And, I have people here now!  Like, my own group of people, that I met on my own and not through Barry.  People that I can "hang" with and call on for help if I so need it! 

1 comment:

  1. My mom is from England and while her accent has thinned over the past 30 years in the US she still has it a bit. But like you, it doesn't register to me as being an accent, it's just her voice. Then one of my friends will meet her and will be all "you didn't even tell me your mom's English." Sometimes I forget.

    ReplyDelete